Of Note

ICAA Announces 2014 Rieger Graham Prize Winner

Under the jury chairmanship of Suzanne Tucker, the 2014 Rieger Graham Prize—a three month affiliated fellowship at the American Academy in Rome—was awarded to Pauline Marie Zeren, of Jackson, Wyoming. Pauline is the fifth Rieger Graham Prize winner since the bi-annual prize was created in 2005. She will be in residency at the AAR from March through June, 2015.

A graduate of Franciscan University of Steubenville in Humanities, Theology, and Music, Pauline also earned her professional and post-professional degrees (simultaneously) from the University of Notre Dame School of Architecture with concentrations in both classical architecture and urban design.

On considering the opportunity granted by the bi-annual prize for independent study in architecture, Pauline says, “I think part of what the Rieger Graham Prize does for young professionals is to place their individual work in the context of the Classical Tradition in a meaningful way. Consequently the honor of pursuing my own specific interests within that tradition carries with it a responsibility to support the wider classical inquiry.”

Pauline’s winning proposal suggests that designs for integrated urban life and ecology is becoming an increasingly urgent study, especially along waterfronts. She states: “Classical architects working on these questions have the unique advantage of a historical record to refer to, and Rome in particular for inspiration as we seek to make ingenious, sustainable urban interventions. Pursuing this research would be impossible for me without the Rieger Graham Prize, and working with the resources of the American Academy in Rome will be invaluable to this project.”

In addition to serving as an ambassador of the ICAA while conducting her independent research, Pauline will be reporting periodically on her progress and on her return will create a tangible presentation of her project in a format to be determined. Please stay tuned for news on that front. Congratulations Pauline!