Message from the President

A Message from Peter W. Lyden

Peter W. Lyden, ICAA President

DEAR FRIENDS,

Since joining the Institute of Classical Architecture & Art (ICAA) last spring, I have had the absolute pleasure of working with an incredibly talented staff, committed board of directors, and thriving membership. I am truly honored to be a part of such an inspired community and impactful organization.  

As President, my primary objectives for the Institute are to amplify and expand our educational offerings, increase the relevancy and reach of our programming, and improve the long-term financial stability of the organization. I feel confident that together, we will accomplish these objectives and solidify the ICAA’s role as one of the nation’s top classical institutions. 

One of the most beloved elements of the ICCA is its public programming, and I am proud to report that the fall public programming schedule builds upon our longstanding tradition of exceptional offerings. In New York, program highlights include talks by Zega & Dams, Robert A.M. Stern Architects, Victoria Kastner, and Robert Adam as well as a broad range of public art and architecture courses. Nationally, our chapters continue to raise the bar, offering a growing roster of lectures, tours and symposiums. Public programming is the cornerstone of the ICAA’s efforts to educate and inspire people about the classical tradition, and these efforts are reaching an increasingly broad audience.

I am also pleased to announce the launch of an exciting new initiative here at the ICAA – the President’s Council. Comprised of an intimate group of supporters, the President’s Council will raise funds and drive strategy for the ICAA’s education efforts to:

• Introduce and train the next generation in classical architecture and the allied arts
  • Launch art and architecture programs for public and private high school students in New York City, introducing them to the classical tradition at an early age
  • Partner with colleges and universities nationwide to enhance the classical element of their art and architecture programs
  • Provide valuable training opportunities for students that are not available elsewhere, including courses on plaster cast drawing, traditional drafting by hand, and proportion in architecture, among many others

In addition to having a direct impact on future generations of architects, designers, and artists, members of the President’s Council will also enjoy an exclusive calendar of roundtable dinners and private events. Please contact me at plyden@classicist.org if you are interested in learning more about this crucial effort.

I’d also like to update you on some exciting news about the ICAA’s Beaux-Art Atelier (BAA) program. As you may know, the BAA is an intensive program in the study of design, architecture, and art, following the method of the famed École des Beaux-Arts in Paris. Beginning in the summer of 2015, the BAA will be offered as a six-week summer intensive. The condensed timeline will vastly increase the accessibility of the program, enabling students and young professionals to participate without taking time away from their studies or leaving their jobs.

I hope you all are as excited about these developments as I am! Thanks to your support, we are improving cities through beautiful and accessible buildings, gardens, landscapes, and public spaces, thereby enhancing the economic vitality of local economies. The work of the ICAA is crucial and has a tangible impact on the future of our cities and built environments. I hope you take pride in all that we accomplish together. 

Finally, I want to extend a heartfelt thank you to Henrika Taylor, who is leaving the ICAA after 20 years of unparalleled service. As you all know, Henrika has worked tirelessly to help build the ICAA into the institution it is today, providing a constant source of energy, leadership, positivity, and insightful vision. Working with her has been an honor and a pleasure, and she will always be part of the ICAA family. I know you all join me in wishing her the very best in her next chapter.

Sincerely,

Peter W. Lyden

President